Device Properties - General
How to get here
The General section of the Device Properties dialog box provides, and lets you modify, basic information for the selected device.
- . An identifying name for the current device. This name is populated during discovery, but can be changed by the user at any time. Changing the name will not change how the device is polled, only how it is displayed in WhatsUp Gold.
- . Select the type of polling you want WhatsUp Gold to use for this device.
- ICMP (TCP/UDP)
: If NetBIOS is selected, the Host Name box must contain a valid NetBIOS name. If IPX is selected, the box must contain a valid IPX address. If NetBIOS or IPX is selected, you cannot monitor TCP/IP services on this device.
- . Select if you want WhatsUp Gold to use the IP address or the Host name (DNS) of the device for polling.
- . This should be the official network name of the device if the polling method is ICMP. The network name must be a name that can be resolved to an IP address. If the polling method is NetBIOS or IPX, this must be the NetBIOS or IPX name.
- . Enter an IP or IPX address.
- . Click this button to configure an additional Network Interface for the current device.
- . Select the appropriate device type from the pull-down menu. The icon displayed will represent the device in all views.