About Topology layout modes
To understand the layout modes, you must first be familiar with the layout strategy used by the WhatsConnected topology engine. For each map, the topology viewer selects a root device which becomes the starting point of the diagrams. The root device is selected based on finding the device on the diagram with the most network connections. You can also change the root device.
To change the Root Device:
- Select any device on the topology map, then right-click. The right click menu appears.
- Click . This overrides the automatic root calculation and all parent/child relationships are built based on the newly selected device as the root device.
Using the connectivity model, the topology viewer sets the root as the parent and then assigns all connected devices as children. This process continues until all devices on the topology map are given a parent/child relationship.
With the parent/child relationships calculated, the WhatsConnected topology viewer provides three layout modes for any topology map. These modes describe the manner in which each child node (or device) is given its position on the topology map. The layout modes are described as follows:
- . In this mode, each child node is connected to its parent in a radial (or circular) pattern. For more information, see About Radial layout settings.
- . In this mode, each child node is given a position in a hierarchical or tree-like view with the root being either on the left, top, right or bottom. For more information, see About Hierarchy Layout settings.
- . In this mode, you can use the drag-and-drop features of the topology view to position the device on the topology map where you want to locate it. For more information, see About Manual Layout setting.
To change a topology map layout settings:
- From the main menu of the WhatsConnected console, select . The Topology Maps view appears.
: You can also view topology maps from the WhatsConnected console shortcut menu. Click (Topology maps shortcut icon). The Topology Maps dialog appears.
- Select a topology map you want to modify in the topology tree view.
- Right-click the topology map, then select Layout Settings. The Layout Settings dialog appears.
- Use the Layout Settings dialog to adjust the layout options. For more information about auto-layout settings, see Layout Settings in the WhatsConnected Help.
- Click . The selected devices will be repositioned on the topology map.