Active monitors enable you to verify health, simulate user events, test for specific conditions and:
- Actively poll specific metrics such as MIB values or other sorts of instrumentation.
- Test and measure service and application availability and latency.
- Scan folders, logs, and files.
- Apply queries.
- Exercise APIs.
: WhatsUp Gold Also applies certain active monitors automatically, such as network interface monitors in order to show availability of network cards, switches, and hosts.
How to Test an Active Monitor
You can test active monitors directly from controls in the Monitors Library to ensure proper configuration.
To test an active monitor
- Access the Monitors Library, then select the active monitor you want to test.
- Click at the top of the Monitors Library interface.
- Select the device on which you want to test the active monitor.
- Select the network interface to use for communication with the test device.
- If applicable, select appropriate credentials required to successfully test the active monitor. Please note, if you do not have any credentials configured with which to test the selected active monitor, you can access the Credentials Library directly from the Test dialog and create a new set.
- Click the button. The results of the test are presented within the Test dialog.
- Click .
Chassis, Hardware, and Wireless
: Application endpoints can also be monitored using custom profiles you create or get from the community. For more information, see the section titled Application Monitoring with WhatsUp Gold.
: Managed and unmanaged virtual machines and servers are also monitored with environment-specific passive and performance monitoring. For more information, see the section titled Monitoring Virtual Machines and Infrastructure.
Network Management and Instrumentation
File System and Storage