The following diagram shows the failover configuration using Network Load Balancing. The two WS_FTP Server installations are members of the cluster. NLB monitors the state of the primary node. The user and configuration databases and the file system are on systems that are outside of the cluster.
Each node has the following configuration:
- Two network adapters, each with a dedicated IP address
- Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2012 (includes NLB)
- WS_FTP Server with Log server, Notification server, and either Ipswitch Web server or Microsoft IIS
The following are configured on one or more systems outside of the cluster:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (to store WS_FTP Server configuration data)
- A supported user database for authentication (for example, Microsoft Active Directory)
- File system for users' home folders and storing log data for the FTP and/or SSH site
You will configure a shared IP address to be used for the cluster containing Node 1 and Node 2.