Configuring the WS_FTP Server database
You can use the the DB Config Utility to:
- Configure WS_FTP Server to connect to a remote database for configuration information
- Modify the present WS_FTP Server database configuration
- Migrate a PostgreSQL database to a Microsoft SQL database (see Configuring a Microsoft SQL Server database for more information)
To open the DB Config Utility, double-click the file
dbconfig.exe. in the Utilities directory. The default location for the utility is:
C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\WS_FTP Server\Utilities\dbconfig.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Ipswitch\WS_FTP Server\Utilities\dbconfig.exe
: You must be a local system administrator to use this utility.
Configuring a remote database
By default, the WS_FTP services (FTP, SSH, Log, Notification) and the WS_FTP Server Manager (web interface) look for a local database. The DBConfig utility lets you point the services and Server Manager a remote database.
If the database you are pointing at has never been configured for WS_FTP Server, you will be prompted to enter a Hostname, Admin Username and Password. DBConfig will then create the Host/User you specified so you will be able to login to the WS_FTP Server Manager.
To configure a remote database:
- Open the DB Config Utility.
- For the database location, enter the dedicated IP address for the computer on which the database is installed, then click .
The DBConfig Utility does the following:
- Verifies connectivity, then authenticates to the database.
- Stops services.
- Removes service dependency for the local database.
- Updates the Connection String in the Registry - yes, it is encoded.
- Checks if the database exists:
- If the database exists, another server entry is made in the database for the current computer, and the Server GUID is updated in the registry.
- If the database does not exist, the utility prompts for a hostname, Admininistrator username, and password, then creates the Administrator user for FTP, and the Notification Server.
- Starts services.
- Restarts the web server.
Modifying the WS_FTP Server database configuration
To modify the present database configuration, open the DB Config Utility and change database connection information as necessary.