Creating an SSL certificate
Ipswitch WS_FTP Server can generate SSL certificates for you to apply to listeners.
To create an SSL certificate and apply it to a listener:
- From the top menu, select . The Listeners page opens.
- Click the of the listener you want to open. The Edit Listener page opens.
: Since SSL can be configured only on FTP listeners, make sure that you select a listener that displays FTP in the Server type column.
- Under , click . The Listener Encryption Settings page opens.
- Next to , click . The Select SSL Certificate page opens.
- Click . The Create SSL Certificate page opens.
- Enter the appropriate information for each of the fields.
- . Enter a name for the certificate. This name is for your reference and is never displayed to users.
- . Enter an expiration date for the certificate, or click the calendar icon to browse for one.
- . Enter the passphrase for the certificate. The passphrase is used to encrypt the key file.
- . Re-enter the same passphrase as above.
- . Enter the name of the city or town where you are located (for example, Augusta).
- . Enter the name of the state or province where you are located (for example, GA).
- . Enter the two-character code of the country where you are located (for example, US).
- . Enter the host name that users enter to access the host this certificate will be applied to (for example, ftp.ipswitch.com).
- . Enter the email address of the person responsible for this certificate.
- . Enter the name of your company or, if you are running the server privately, your name (for example, Ipswitch, Inc.).
- . Enter the name of the organizational unit (for example, Information Technology).
- . Select the key size for the certificate. A higher key size creates a more secure key, but takes longer to generate.
If you plan to purchase a certificate from a Certificate Authority, you can still select any of the available key sizes. For general information about purchasing a certificate, see the FAQ on Verisign's site.
- Click . The Select SSL Certificate page reopens with the new certificate included in the list.
- Select the certificate you just created, then click . The Listener Encryption Settings page opens again, with the SSL certificate you created displayed in box.
- Click .