Device Management Actions
A number of manual actions can be performed on a selected device directly from the My Network view. Simply right-click on the device's icon on the map and select from the options displayed. You can also select any device to display the corresponding device information card, then click and select the action to be performed.
- . Selecting this option launches the Device Properties interface for the device.
- . Selecting this option launches the Device Status dashboard for the device.
- . Selecting this option launches the State Change Timeline full-page report for the device.
- . Selecting this option launches the Traffic Analysis dashboard for the device.
- . This action creates a shortcut to a device within a selected group which provides access to that device still residing in its original group.
- . This action relocates a device from its original group to another group.
- . This action creates a deep copy of a device that includes all active monitors, passive monitors, actions, attributes, etc. applied to the new device. Please use caution when enabling the (and above) option when cloning a device. Ipswitch recommends leaving this option disabled unless the Layer 2 and above connectivity data specific to the selected device is also needed for the device clone. Enabling the feature could potentially generate inaccurate connectivity and/or dependency links between the initial device or the cloned device and associated devices displayed on the map.
- . Force delete of a monitored device from WhatsUp Gold. This frees any balance the device has against your device license total (if applicable). Full delete is only possible from My Network view.
- . This action launches a dialog where you can select one or more devices from which to remove group membership. Please note, this does not delete the device from WhatsUp Gold.
- . This action allows you to acknowledge a state change on a device. Please note, acknowledging a state change does not prevent a device from firing actions. Place the device in maintenance mode to stop actions from firing.
- . This action immediately requests an updated status from a device prior to the next automatic polling time per the configured polling interval.
- . Use to update device roles and subroles and retrieve any updated and/or additional system attribute and network connectivity information since the device was originally added to WhatsUp Gold. For syncing inventory information, you can apply the Keep Details Current for this device.
: Refresh, which leverages Discovery, is the best method for refreshing Host, System, and Inventory information.
- . Combines and adds applicable monitors. Use this feature to add recently added monitors configured with the option. Please note, only credentials already applied to the selected device are used to determine which monitors may be applied during the rescan. If the device does not pass preconditions for the monitor (such as the presence of specific MIB objects), no monitor is added.
- . These actions launch a dialog where you can specify which active monitors on the selected device must be up/down for the device status to be reported as up/down.
- . This action designates the selected device as a root device meaning anything connected to it should have an Up dependency to that device and any device connected to those devices should have an up dependency to them.
- . This action prevents the selected device from being polled, actions from being triggered, and disables logging activity.
When manually placing a device in maintenance mode using the device management actions menu, you are presented with the option to specify a date and time for the maintenance period to end without further end-user interaction. Please note, manually placing a device in maintenance mode using this method, either with or without applying expiration, will always take precedence over any previously assigned scheduled recurring maintenance windows configured in Device Properties.
When multiple devices are selected, the device management actions available vary slightly. Actions specific to a device group selection are as follows:
- This launches a configuration dialog where you can modify the properties of the selected device group including the name, description, and access rights.
- This action allows you to manually add a device to the selected group by entering its IP Address, Host Name, or DNS Name. Additionally, WhatsUp Gold allows you to add the device without scanning it first and to force a specific device role assignment. Please note, if is disabled, a number of advanced settings are also available which, when enabled, allow WhatsUp Gold to discover as much information as possible about the device being added along with any associated devices that may be found. You can expand the discovery scan to include virtualization and wireless environments, resolve hostnames for discovered devices, enable device naming based on SNMP Sysname, and prioritize credentials used during device discovery.
- appears in place of . This option allows you to make configuration changes to the selected devices in bulk including assigning credentials, monitors, and action policies, editing active and passive monitor properties, assigning maintenance schedules, setting dependencies and dependency roots, specifying polling interval and interfaces, creating attributes, and appending notes to the device properties.