You can discover applications on and create application instances for devices monitored by WhatsUp Gold. To be discoverable, an application must have at least one discoverable service or process component associated with its profile. Ensure is enabled when adding or editing Windows service or process components within the application profile.
To discover applications:
- Select from the top navigation menu.
- Initiate application discovery by selecting one or more applications to discover, then click . Depending on your selection, this control is available within the and menus as well as at the top of the application grid. A navigation tree appears mirroring your device list which displays dynamic groups and discovery scans. Please note, if a dialog appears indicating one or more of the application profiles selected does not have discoverable components and will not be included in the search.", click .
- Select the groups and/or devices for which you want to discover applications by clicking the applicable check boxes in the navigation tree.
- Click . The Application Discovery: Discovery Results page appears.
After applications are discovered, use the list of newly discovered applications to select which ones to monitor and subsequently create application instances.
To monitor newly-discovered applications:
- Identify an application on the list you want to begin monitoring and click . A Start Monitoring Application dialog appears and WhatsUp Gold automatically begins testing the application profile components.
- Use the Start Monitoring Application dialog to make any desired changes to the instance you are creating. The dialog contains the following information:
- . Use this box to modify the default name of the application instance.
- . Use this list to select an action policy to be applied to the application instance.
- . Use this box to indicate how long a component test should run prior to timeout.
- . Use this button to immediately initiate component testing.
- . Use these check boxes to enable or disable individual components for the Application instance.
- . Use this box to indicate when WhatsUp Gold reports the component is experiencing a problem.
- . Use this box to indicate when WhatsUp Gold reports the component as 'Down'.
- Click to save the application instance.
- Close the dialog to return to the Application Discovery: Discovery Results page.
- Repeat these procedures as needed to create additional application instances.