Selecting an Action Type
When you apply active monitors, you typically associate an action and a device state with changes observed by the monitor. There are three main categories of built-in action types available through the Actions Library. Actions can be triggered or scheduled.
: Certain actions (CM Actions, for example) can be invoked on demand ().
Built-in action types include:
- Notifications. Send messages to stakeholders and responsible individuals according to site policy.
- Remote execution. Create scripts, execute remote programs, and apply configuration changes.
- Log. Include state change observed by WhatsUp Gold in platform logs.
- . Activate a beeper with this type of action.
- . Send an Email to a specific address.
- . Write a message to a text file.
- . Send a message to a pager.
- . Activate a Web Alarm in the WhatsUp Gold Web Interface
- . Plays a voice message on your computer.
- . Send a text message to a specific target.
- . Send a text message to a wireless phone or other wireless device.
- . Play a specific sound.
Remote/Local Script or Execution
- . Start or stop a Windows service.
- . Write code to perform a customized action.
- . Perform script or task from CM Task (includes Task Scripts) or CM Script Libraries.
- . Develop custom actions through direct access to scriptable component libraries, including the .NET Framework.
- . Connect to remote devices via SSH to execute commands or scripts.
- . Execute an external application.
- . Use SNMP to increase a counter, set a flag, or change the attribute value of a managed object.
- . Write an event in the Windows Event Log.
- . Write a message to a log in the Syslog system.
- . Use the VMware API to perform an action on a virtual machine.