The Beeper action activates a beeper when a device reaches a certain state change. The settings below are used to automatically build a dial string for use by the modem sending the beeper action.
: The Beeper Action can identify network devices through a specific device attribute.
Configure the following:
- . Enter a unique name for the action. This name displays in the Actions Library.
- . (Optional) Enter short description about the action. This description displays next to the action in the Actions Library.
- . Enter the phone number to dial. You can use parentheses to delimit the area code and a dash to separate the exchange from the extension numbers, for example:
- . Enter a number of seconds the modem should pause before sending the signal codes once a connection is made.
- . By default, # is the correct symbol for the end transmission command. Some international systems require other or additional symbols.
- . Select Primary or one of the alternate setups. Click to further define your selection. Modem Setup is used specifically to support different service providers in case you use more than one provider for sending your beeper notifications. There could also be times you want to change your settings to meet a specific service provider requirements for a specific notification (for example, a lower baud rate). To do this, set up an alternate Modem Setup and associate this to the notification instead of using your Primary setting.
: Changing the port settings for the desired modem setup affects all uses of that setting.
- . Specifies the characters sent to the beeper to indicate that the device is up after being down (the default value is 0*).
- . Specifies the code sent to indicate the device is down (the default value is 1*).
- . Specifies the code sent to indicate that an active monitor has been received for the device. (Default value is 2*) You can use the asterisk (*) character to separate codes from a subsequent message.
- . The percent variables for the action. The default action code is:
- Click to save your changes.
: To check the status of an action, or to cancel an action, in the WhatsUp Gold console go to .