Application Monitoring ( menu ) (also referred to as "APM") gathers performance statistics and overall application health while alerting on performance degradation and potential problems before they result in service outages. APM can assist organizations to measure service level and guarantee Service Level Agreements (SLAs) as well as assist in pinpointing application performance bottlenecks and points of failure. APM allows you to monitor the performance of "applications" and application-layer services running on your monitored devices.
This section outlines the essential building blocks you use to build your full APM solution.
- Application Profile. Each monitored application is comprised of a collection of individual components as defined by an application profile.
- Monitored Application. By applying an application profile to a monitored device, you instantiate an application monitoring instance ("Application Instance").
Preparing to Discover. Select profiles you want applied during discovery or add new ones.
Configuring WhatsUp Gold to monitor an application is a simple process. It starts with selecting a profile that captures data points necessary to understand the performance, health, and status of a given type of application. The application profile groups the components, discrete applications, and associated thresholds necessary to capture the data points into a blueprint that can be used to create individual application instances. These instances actively monitor your applications. WhatsUp Gold provides a selection of profiles which are available upon successful WhatsUp Gold installation. You can also create your own application profiles. After you have the necessary profiles, you can automatically discover your applications and create instances for each discovered application, or you may choose to manually create and modify instances individually before you begin monitoring.
Discovering Applications. Discover devices with resident applications that match selected application profiles.
You can discover applications on and create application instances for devices monitored by WhatsUp Gold. To be discoverable, an application must have at least one discoverable service or process component associated with its profile. Ensure is enabled when adding or editing Windows service or process components within the application profile.
To discover applications:
- Select from the top navigation menu.
- Click .
- Click , choose the device group in which you want to discover applications, then click .
- Click the Add icon, select the applications profiles you want to monitor, then click .
- Click .
- When application discovery is complete, click for any displayed profile/device pairing.
: At this point, WhatsUp Gold will begin testing individual components which make up the application profile. Note that some components may require additional configuration before they pass testing. You can also modify the application name and/or select an action policy using this dialog.
- When selected components have been properly configured (if applicable) and pass testing, click .
- Repeat these procedures as needed to create additional monitored applications.
You manage application instances by way of the Application and Profile Setup view ( menu ).
Analyze (dashboard, log, and report)
Analyze log, reporting, and dashboard data to assess performance, quality of service, and impact.
- Application Monitoring Dashboard. View, filter, and share application monitoring availability and performance.
- Application Event Log. Shows application events, actions, and state changes.
- Applications State Change Log. Shows transitions in application monitor states.
: You can access the dashboards for the WhatsUp Gold Application Monitoring Add On from the menu . You must have devices discovered with appropriate roles delegation and credentials before you can gather rich and meaningful report data.
Application monitoring data can be visualized, shared, and reused using Export Data () and Dashboard Options ().