Interface Utilization monitor provides performance and capacity measurements for network interfaces associated with the current device. Interface Utilization monitors are applied automatically to network devices.
: You can view Interface Utilization measurements, history, and trends using the RealTime Performance Monitor or the Interface Utilization Report.
Choose collection options for your Interface Utilization monitor:
- Select the with which you want to collect data from the device. If your selection generates an error or WhatsUp Gold informs you the selected protocol may/will not work for the device, please choose an alternate protocol prior to saving your monitor configuration.
- Use the menu provided to select which interface types should be monitored. You can choose to monitor , , , or . If you select any option other than , enable the applicable checkbox(es) at left in the configuration dialog prior to saving your monitor configuration. If you select , use the additional controls which appear to select interfaces to monitor based on speed, name, or type. The following information is displayed for each interface:
- . WhatsUp Gold gets the value for Interface from one-of-three fields. It typically uses the first non-blank field it finds in this order: ifAlias (administrator-assigned name), ifDescr (manufacturer and product name), ifName (name from the OS, for example "WLAN adapter 1"). Please note, a Null interface represents traffic discarded or generated by a router.
- . The numeric designator (typically ifIndex) of the individual interface for the selected device.
- . Interface type (typically ifType) object value returned.
- . Nominal interface speed reported by the interface. This value is used for calculating interface capacity utilization.
- ( settings) If the nominal speed is different than the configured speed, constrained by factors surrounding the interface, or if it is simply unpopulated, you can define a custom value that WhatsUp Gold will use for reports and calculations.
- . Ready state of the interface. Either of the following: Active / Inactive.
- Enable the option if you'd like WhatsUp Gold to retain and report on this information. This option is useful for debugging and visualizing incidents using the Interface Errors and Discards report.
- Use thecontrol provided to indicate how often you want data to be collected.
- Expand the Advanced section of the dialog and use the controls provided to modify the and settings, if desired.
- Use the additional controls provided to specify how WhatsUp Gold should determine the uniqueness of interfaces; by or .
- Lastly, use the menu provided to indicate how WhatsUp Gold should Poll interface traffic counters. You can choose , for wider support, or for fast interfaces.
- Click to save your monitor configuration.